The Constitution of Kenya 2010 classifies minerals (such coal) under public land. Further, the law also elucidates that public land belongs collectively to the people of Kenya as a nation, as communities, and as individuals. The community in the Mui Basin is vehemently opposed to coal mining in the region.
Oxygen 11.62, 12.33 and 11.13 % for Mui well 1, Mui well 2 and Taru coal samples respectively. Temperature - weight analysis showed that devolatilization starts at 200 °C and 250 °C and combustion was complete at 750 °C and 650 °C for Mui and Taru basin coal respectively. The maximum temperature obtained in the fluidized bed combustor
The Kenyan government is gearing up to mine the Mui Basin in Mwingi for coal. The people of Mwingi have been marginalized and neglected by their own government for years. Now instead of getting the attention, services and healthcare they deserve, they are going to be forced off their lands in order for the government and big companies to make a profit off coal, while the local people pay the ...
· Coal Mining in Mui Basin The private sector has shown interest in coal exploration should commercially viable deposits be found. ln September 2008, the ministry speeded up exploration in the Mui basin and contacted a private company, Foundation Piling Ltd, to assess the drilling of 20 wells in the basin and assess the commercial viability of ...
· A parliamentary committee wants the Ministry of Lands to investigate errors in already issued title deeds before the government explores coal mining in Mui Basin, Kitui county. The MPs, who sit in the energy committee, also want the ministry to investigate concerns raised by the area residents that land was irregularly allocated to strangers and […]
· Residents of Mui basin celebrated success in stopping Fenxi Mining Industry Group mining company from going on with its works in the area after a High Court judge extended the injunction stopping the mining of coal in the area. The residents say the awarding of the deal giving mining concession to Fenxi was an infringement […]
pollution from coal mining in Mui basin (sedimentary area) through a Geological and Geological structure assessment • Following the above results, the following conclusion were made;-The area has varying vulnerability potential with the northern area having the least, followed by the center part.
The coal mining in Mui Basin will cause extensive environmental degradation and disrupt people''s traditional livelihoods. This is ironic given that Vision 2030, which motivates the government to give out mining concessions, is meant ''to transform Kenya into a …
· PART I. May 2018, Kitui. By Kitui Newspaper Investigative Team . Kitui County is set to begin mining activities in the Mui Basin, as was made apparent by the governor Charity Ngilu and the Ministry of Mining CS John Munyes in the Mining Sector Stakeholders'' Meeting recently held in the county headquarters at KEFRI in Kitui Town.
· Kenya to auction coal mining licenses for Mui Basin deposits; Volume & Pricing . Kenya to auction coal mining licenses for Mui Basin deposits Published on: 8 December 2020 . Government will conduct an international bidding process for private companies
At least 16 international coal mining companies have expressed interest in extracting coal in the Mui Basin, Kitui county in Kenya, according to a November 2010 report. The Mui basin has been sub-divided into Sombe, Kabati, Itiko, Mutito, Yoonye, Kateiko, Isekele and Karunga but activities are only concentrated in Kateiko and Yoonye.
Environmental Solutions Limited COAL MINERAL DEPOSITS IN MUI BASIN, KITUI COUNTY (Way forward) Joseph Mutua Muvea In 2011 the government of Kenya discovered Coal deposits in Mui basin, Kitui County. The basin was generally subdivided into four designated blocks namely block A, B, C and D which covers a total area of 500kms2.
· The coal-rich Mui Basin covers around 500 square km and is located around 270 km (170 miles) east of Nairobi. It has been divided into four sections for mining development. A Chinese firm, Fenxi Mining Group, was given rights to develop half the area in 2011.
· Mning on water resources in mui basin, kitui county in eastern kenya The venture into coal exploration has led to the discovery of over 240,000 tonnes in the Mui basin and hence plans to start mining are ongoing. However, the analyses of this coal by … Name: WAMALWA RUTH.pdf.Size: Format: PDF … »More detailed
· " Kitui Coal Mining Project Is a Disaster in the Making" Prospecting for coal in Kenya started in 2000 and the discovery of large, commercial coal deposits in the Mui Basin in Kitui — a 500 square kilometre area about 270 kilometres east of Nairobi — was announced in 2010.
Mr. Apollo Muinde Mui Coal Basin Local Community, for the Petitioners in the 1st Petition Mr. Nyamu for the Petitioners in the 2nd Petition Mr. Moimbo for the Attorney General Mr. Imende for Fenxi Mining Industry Company, the 1st Interested Party Ms. Kariithi for Great Lakes Corporation Ltd, the 2nd Interested Party Mr. Saende for Jingu Group ...
· In the Mui Basin, Kitui County, coal deposits have been discovered and exploitation is going to begin in the near future. A survey undertaken with 75 s generally reveals a mixed picture of people''s perceptions and expectations towards the mining project.
In the Mui Basin, Kitui County, coal deposits have been discovered and exploitation is going to begin in the near future. A survey undertaken with 75 s on people''s perceptions shows clear correlations with regard to the gender, age, education and relative wealth of respondents.
· Kenya to auction coal mining licenses for Mui Basin deposits Published on: 8 December 2020 . Government will conduct an international bidding process for private companies..To read the rest of this article, please login with your CW Group Single Sign-On first. If you do not already have a CW Group account, please register. coal ;
· 5) Committee to carry out an inquiry into the use of coal in electricity generation in Kenya 6) MoE to carry out an ESIA and Environmental Management Plan to determine the social and environmental impacts of coal mining activities in Mui Basin 7) "In engaging the community, the Government should pay particular attention to the local cultural ...
· The promoters of coal mining in the Mui Basin are the government, through the Ministry of Mining and Petroleum, and private investors. The government has already awarded concessions for the four blocks available in the Mui Basin. The first one was awarded to a Chinese company called Fenxi Mining in 2011, for blocks C and D, while the second ...
the anticipated coal mining project in the Mui basin. In a simple sampling procedure, one hundred and fifty s, randomly identified, were interviewed using a semi-structured questionnaire. The findings presented in the study show that the environmental rights of local communities are likely to be breached by the anticipated coal mining. ...
· For CO as shown in Figure 6(b), a sharp increase was observed between 200°C and 450°C for Mui coal and gradually increases for Taru basin coal for temperatures between 300°C and 600°C. The highest level of 2000 ppm of CO was recorded from the Mui coal, while 687 ppm of CO was observed for the Taru basin sample.
Gender Dimensions and Implications on Coal Mining in Mui Basin, Kitui County 1 1.0 Background to the Study Kenya has made several mineral discoveries e.g. titanium ores along the coast, significant coal concentration deposits in the Mui basin, large oil deposits in the tertiary Rift basin and gas in the offshore wells of the Lamu basin.
· The Mui Coal Basin is located 180km northeast of Nairobi and covers an area of 500km2. Exploration for coal has been conducted by Kenya''s Ministry of Energy (MOE) since 1999 and has focused on four blocks (Blocks A, B, C and D) included surface geological mapping, geophysical surveys, exploration drilling, detailed coal quality analyses and ...
In the Mui Basin in Kitui County, Central Kenya coal a coal mine is about to go into operation. A Benefit Sharing Agreement has been signed in December 2013 between the Kenyan government and a Chinese mining company, Fenxi Mining Ltd.. The County is one of the poorest in Kenya and local
Simulation of Potential Impact of Air Pollution from the Proposed Coal Mining Sites in Mui Basin, Kitui County. Citation: Muthama, N. J., Kaume C. M., Mutai B. K., & Ng''ang''a J. K. (2015). Simulation of Potential Impact of Air Pollution from the Proposed Coal Mining Sites in Mui Basin, Kitui County. .